As we welcome in the New Year, the expected noise of health and fitness resolutions saturate conversation: it’s a, “New Year new me.”Although many of these annual vows often manifest as empty promises, there is one particular resolve that could set you up for a better 2017 (in the world of fashion anyway). Wardrobe overhaul can be the promise of a reinvented self. Start your 2017 with a clear wardrobe and a clear mind.
Speaking from experience (and from my bedroom with the new edition ‘floordrobe’), come New Years Day, I faced the task of dressing for a celebratory lunch. Upon opening my overflowing and rammed-in excuse of a wardrobe, I concluded that I had absolutely nothing to wear. Overwhelmed by hoards of unflattering and frumpy jumpers, last season x5 dresses, and jeans that I only just managed to get into when I was 14, I couldn’t see the wood from the trees. I had so much crap that my genuinely loved items of clothing had been lost in a deeply muddled fashion abyss. Much like the detrimental effects of a cluttered desk on productivity, my cluttered wardrobe was becoming a hindrance on my ability to string a simple outfit together. If you’re reading this and can relate to my ways as a wardrobe hoarder, try these 5 simple rules for letting go of old clothes.
The 5 Rules of Letting Go:
- If you haven’t worn it in over 6 months, bin it.
- If you’re not excited to wear it, bin it.
- If you don’t feel good in it, bin it.
- If you keep saying you’ll lose over a stone and then it’ll fit again, bin it.
- If you are only keeping it for fear of not having any other clothes, bin it.
As university students, we are also at a disadvantage as we inevitably end up with a two-part wardrobe split between the location of home, and St. Andrews: start with your home wardrobe now and I guarantee you’ll find it considerably easier to pack when the time comes to head back to the bubble. Happy organising.
To replenish your now fully functioning wardrobe, I suggest investing in these 5 staple pieces that you’ll be able to pair with most existing items, just to freshen up your collection. Over the past few weeks I’ve picked up the pieces shown below.
5 staples for your wardrobe overhaul
- Denim – a new pair of well-fitted jeans can be paired with overlooked tops for a fresh new outfit.
- A Crisp White Shirt – dressed up or down, a crisp white shirt will look effortlessly put together on those days when you simply CBA.
- Statement Shoes – treat yourself with a pair of funky shoes, and they’ll spice up the most basic of outfits; think jeans, a plain white tee, and some talking-point soles.
- Tailored Jacket or Coat – don’t underestimate the power of impeccable tailoring.
- Classic t-shirt – you can never go wrong with a tee so invest in one for the summer; try stripes, embroidery, or vintage logos for this season.
Don’t forget to recycle your unwanted clothes: take them to charity, sell them, or bag them up and take them to H&M to receive a £5 voucher for being good to the planet.